FEMA pds & aps
professional development serieS (PDS)
The Professional Development Series includes seven Emergency Management Institute Independent (EMI) Study (IS) courses that provide a well-rounded set of fundamentals for those in the emergency management profession. Many students build on this foundation to develop their careers.
Below is the list of IS programs that make up the Professional Development Series. These courses are all completed on-line through the EMI IS website. You can find course descriptions and instructions for individual classes by clicking on the titles below.
Certificate of Completion
Students who complete all of these courses will receive a PDS Certificate of Completion. For questions about obtaining your PDS certificate contact our office for assistance.
advanced professional serieS (APS)
The ability to perform essential work in a disaster requires skills in emergency operations and management. These skills may be developed through this series of courses that offers "how to" training focused on practical information. This new series emphasizes applied skills in disaster operations, alongside of and building on Professional Development Series management and coordination skills.
The APS program consists of 5 required courses and 5 elective courses listed below. APS courses are all classroom courses unless otherwise noted.
Course descriptions can be found by visiting FEMA's Non-Resident Training website and scrolling through the list of classes. Those listed as Independent Study can be found on FEMA's IS website.
Our training programs can be requested for local delivery by following our Training Event Request procedures. To see what's currently scheduled in your area, please check our ADEM Training Calendar.
- G775 EOC Management and Operations
- G191 Incident Command System/Emergency Operations Center Interface
- G250.7 Rapid Assessment Workshop
- G270.4 Recovery from Disaster, the Local Government Role
- G318 Mitigation Planning Workshop for Local Governments
Elective Courses (choose any 5)
- G288 Donations Management Workshop
- G362 Multi-Hazard Emergency Planning for Schools
- G197 Emergency Planning and Special Needs Populations
- IS-703 NIMS Resource Management (Independent Study)
- G202 Debris Management
- G386 Mass Fatalities
- G137 Exercise Program Manager
- G361 Flood Fight Operations
- G110 Emergency Management Operations Course for Local Governments
- G408 Homeland Security Planning for Local Governments
- G108 Community Mass Care Management
- G358 Evacuation and Re-entry Planning
- G290 Basic Public Information Officers
- G271 Hazardous Weather and Flood Preparedness, OR
- IS271 Anticipating Hazardous Weather and Community Risk (Independent Study)
- G272 Warning Coordination
- G400 Advanced Incident Command System (prior to May 2011)
Certificate of Completion
Students who complete the 5 required courses and any 5 of 16 elective courses are eligible to receive the EMI Advanced Professional Series Certificate of Completion.
Click here to download a personal checklist for completion of your APS requirements.
FEMA requires that requests for the certificate of completion be sent first to the State Emergency Management agency for verification. Include date and place, as well as name of the course manager, of each course completed. For questions about obtaining your APS certificate contact our Training and Exercise Office for assistance.
For additional information on any of these programs, contact us for assistance.